- Choose a good cover photo since it takes up half of the first screen.
- Check your About section to make sure it lists the information you want in your heading. If it does not, click "About" and edit the sections listed there. If you list dates in this section, it will post those activities in your timeline (when you started a job, when you attended school, etc.).
- There are two ways to clean up your timeline. Either click on "Activity Log" or scroll down through the timeline. Either way, you will have to hide, delete or change each item individually. The more active you have been on Facebook, the longer it will take you to clean it up. You certainly are not required to delete the less meaningful posts, but I recommend it.
- I have found that my photos are showing nicely with the correct date and location tags because I have been organizing them into albums shortly after I upload them from my mobile phone. If all of your photos are still in your mobile upload album, you will want to take the time to sort them into albums with date and location tags so they show up in the right spots on your timeline.
- Next, click on the little picture of the book to add Life Events such as volunteer work, study abroad, marriage, loss of a loved one, move, new vehicle, weight loss, overcame an illness, new hobby, or awards. This is where you can talk about things that happened before or after you joined Facebook that are not already reflected in your previous posts. For each life event, you can list the dates, location, picture and who you were with.
- Under your cover photo, you will see quick links to: "Update Info", "Activity Log" and Settings (wheel with down arrow). If you click on the Settings tab and then View As, you will see how your timeline looks to the public or you can type in the name of a person to see how it looks to them.
I hope this was helpful and you make the Facebook timeline one of your projects if you have time off this week! Let me know if you have any questions or comments.